PSI stands for Personal Style Indicator, a personality assessment based on Carl Jung’s personality theory. It can be used as a learning and communication tool, for individual purposes, but also for organizational purposes. This assessment helps people understand their dominant personality, as well as their preferences towards work tasks, situations and people. It is a great self-discovery tool that helps people learn their strengths and weaknesses, so that they can be more efficient in achieving their personal and professional goals.
Who can benefit from the PSI?
A self-discovery journey is valuable for any individual, as the lessons that you learn from this assessment can assist you in both your personal and your professional life. However, few individuals are aware of the benefits of this personality test, so the PSI is mainly used by schools, organizations and psychologists. The people who are more likely to come in contact with this personality tool are employees and potential employees, students, business partners, families, and leaders/managers.
Main uses of the PSI
As we mentioned this tool is mostly used in organizations, mostly for professional purposes. It is mainly used by trainers, supervisors, HR consultants and carrier guidance counselors. It can be used in numerous work-related situations. For example, it can be a part of a hiring process, as a way to clarify careers, as a tool for building team spirit or as a training instrument for improving leadership and communication skills. In personal contexts, it is mainly used to enhance communication between partners.
This tool can be the main instrument for a leadership development program, as a diagnostic tool for career planning, as an ice-breaker for personal counseling or even as an instrument for improving group dynamics.
How it works
While there are several personality tools based on Carl Jung’s theory, we advise you to opt for the HRDQ’s Personal Style Inventory, as it is the most efficient personality assessment tool. The HRDQ tool is also very easy to use. The assessment can be taken online, or it can be printed. It contains a series of 32 statements that individuals must complete according to their preferences. The statements are meant to interpret personality styles based on 4 major dimensions: extroversion or introversion, sensing or intuition,thinking or feeling and perceiving or judging. The results will consist in a personality profile, defined by the abbreviation of four letters which symbolize each dimension. The test only takes 15 minutes to complete, after which the assessment facilitator will interpret the results of the profile with the test participants. The test can be used with one individual at a time, or it can be used as part of a team exercise. It can also be a part of a longer training program.
Real benefits of the PSI
We already established that the PSI can be used in numerous situations, but to know how your organization can benefit from it, you must understand the clear learning outcomes that you can expect after the assessment.
- Identify the dominant personality style of any individual – this helps individuals understand themselves better, and it also helps superiors understand their teams better.
- Understand the 16 different personality styles – understanding yourself is important, but to improve relationships with the people around you, it is essential to understand the different personalities that people have.
- Learn the main traits, as well as the strengths and weaknesses of each style – a great skill for recognizing different personalities, and for knowing the right way to interact with each style.
- Learn how different personality styles interact with one another – an ideal skill for putting together the perfect teams
- Learn what tasks are best suited for each personality – ideal for improving work performance
- Make a plan to improve work performance and group dynamics
As you can see, the personally style indicator helps people understand themselves better, and it equips them with the right tools and knowledge to efficiently grow and improve their performance.