Asphalt shingles were invented in 1901. By the 1940’s they were being produced on a mass scale and were well on their way to being the most widely used roofing material in the United States. Fast forward to modern times, and asphalt shingles are still one of the more popular types of roofing materials. This is due to their affordability, availability and overall aesthetic appeal. Since the early 20th century, there have been many technological and design improvements in asphalt shingles. They can come in a variety of colours, types, and designs. Before you make the decision to move forward with asphalt shingles, it is important that you connect with a reputable Indianapolis roofing contractor. This will help you to ensure that you are choosing the right type of shingle and that they are installed correctly.
Different Types of Asphalt Shingles
There are many types of asphalt shingles. However, the three main types are three-tab shingles, dimensional shingles, and luxury shingles. Each has its own set of pros and cons. Learn more about the most popular types of Asphalt shingles below.
- Three-tab shingles: These shingles are typically the most affordable. They are single layered and notched into three tabs. If properly taken care of, they can last for more than 20 years. However, they are not the most durable type of asphalt shingle and are slowly losing their popularity to other types.
- Dimensional shingles: Sometimes referred to as architectural shingles, they are much stronger than their three-tab counterparts. By many accounts, they are much more stylish as well. These shingles are known to last upwards of 30 years.
- Luxury shingles: Luxury asphalt shingles are typically built like dimensional shingles, but are made to look more like slate or wood shake roofs. Homeowners that do not wish to pay for slate or wood shake roofs, may opt for luxury shingles. It is important to note that they will cost considerably more than dimensional and three-tab shingles.
Pros of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles have transformed greatly since they were invented. With these technological advances, many positive characteristics can be attributed to them. Some of the advantages include:
- Ease of installation and less difficult to find a qualified contractor
- Cost-effective and easy on the budget
- An average lifespan of 20 or more years
- Environmentally friendly and can be recycled
- Can come in many colors and designs
Cons of Asphalt Shingles
While it is important to consider all of the advantages of asphalt shingles, there are also some disadvantages. These cons should not serve a deterrent. However, it is important to weigh all the information available before making your final decision. Listed below are some of the cons associated with asphalt shingles.
- Do not last as long as other materials like metal, slate, rubber, etc.
- Typically requires more maintenance than other materials
- Not known to be the most durable roofing material
- Have a higher propensity to develop algae or moss growth
Overall, asphalt shingles have made a good name for themselves among contractors and homeowners all over the world. They are affordable, stylish and offer your home a proven layer of protection. It is recommended that you connect with an experienced roofing contractor before you choose asphalt shingles. They better they are installed, the more likely you are to be happy with them in the long run.