The post-pandemic world prioritizes health and wellness. That creates opportunities for commercial building and design, where customers want the newest and best technology for their applications. If you’re constructing wellness facilities, gyms, apartment complexes, living spaces or amenities, infrared sauna is the latest trend—and surprisingly easy to install.
Technology evolves categories—from flooring to counters to windows to materials—and sauna technology is no different. Traditional saunas are yesterday’s clunky old home theater sound systems, and infrared sauna is today’s premier smart whole-home control. Infrared saunas recreate the sun’s warmth and healing rays through advanced heater technology. The heaters emit wavelengths the body absorbs resulting in health benefits at a cellular level from the inside out in an enjoyable, dry environment. Traditional saunas heat the air to extreme high temps and generate sweat from the outside, using hot rocks and water to create humidity in an intense, uncomfortable experience with fewer health benefits.
Sunlighten is the premier global manufacturer of infrared saunas and has been innovating in the industry for 23 years. Dustin Stevens, Sunlighten’s custom sauna director, founded the custom division in 2019 after overseeing design, manufacture, and installation of prefab cabins for nearly a decade. Sunlighten has helped builders create hundreds of custom infrared saunas for businesses, professional sports training facilities and franchises. Every project is overseen personally by an experienced Sunlighten Custom Consultant from start to finish.
Here are 7 things Stevens says are important for custom infrared sauna installations in commercial applications:
- Installation is easier than you might think. Put any thoughts of complicated requirements out of your mind. Here’s what you need: a trim carpenter, an electrician, and the best infrared partner. The heaters simply hang on the walls and they’re easy to install. Sunlighten provides everything you need and eliminates the need for additional labor. You can opt to hire Sunlighten’s install team to do it for you, or we can walk you through the process from start to finish.
- We give you everything you need to bid the job accurately. After bidding and completing hundreds of custom sauna installations, we know exactly what is required and stay timely with market prices. We’ve honed our process and expertise and will give you everything you need to cover all your expenses.
- You don’t need to be an infrared expert. We provide the infrared expertise: Our Full Support Team partners with you to lend our infrared expertise as part of your team. You provide us your facility blueprints, our team designs a custom sauna to fit the space. We design heater placement and incorporate the details your customer cares about (bench design options, finish colors, creative wood patterns, unique floor designs, special features, lighting, door treatment, etc.). We’ll give you interior and exterior 3d CAD line drawings.
- With Sunlighten, you know you’re delivering the best infrared technology. Sunlighten has a long-standing reputation worldwide as the leading innovator of infrared heating technology, with the development of its SoloCarbon coating in 2004, its mPulse 3 in 1 wavelength smart saunas in 2010, its MagnaSeal locking system and continuing innovation today. They’re known for quality and durability—and own the manufacturing process from start to finish.
- Installing an infrared sauna is a lot less complicated than traditional saunas, steam rooms or hot tubs. Infrared saunas are dry and simple. No plumbing required; no chance of mold. And, no time-consuming drywall, mud and taping. Sunlighten’s materials are top notch—sauna wood is dry kilned for up to 70 hours. You can rest assured the tongue-in-groove pieces are cut right. And we provide easy-to-install instructions and full installation support including communication and coordination with the electrician.
- Turnkey timelines fit within your build process. The first step in installation is supplying the sauna power. A standard sauna will require a 240v dedicated circuit that can be roughed in any time before the walls are enclosed. Once the power is brought in, it should take the electrician around one day to bring the power into the sauna, make all the heater connections, and have the sauna ready for the carpenters. After electrical is done, the carpenters can finish out the space with wall cladding and the benches. Depending on the sauna design and size of the space, the entire process should take 3-5 days to complete.
- You don’t have to worry about materials—we provide all materials and ship to the job site. That includes wood for the entire sauna interior–walls, ceiling, floors, benches, control panel, and all the infrared heater cabinets. We pack everything in a secure crate shipped directly to the building site, ready to install when you decide the timing is right.
Adding a custom infrared sauna as an amenity or as part of a health or fitness business creates a beautiful wellness space that has been profitable and popular for many business owners. Custom design means the design fits exactly what they want and is something no other business offers…all without creating a construction headache. It’s an easy win-win for your customer, and you.
Shining light on infrared technology, Sunlighten® is the #1 choice for personalized infrared light treatments. Since 1999, we have been committed to innovating wellness products and services that empower our customers to improve their quality of life. Our patented SoloCarbon® technology rejuvenates the body by delivering the highest dose of infrared energy to the body – proven up to 99% effective. Our technological innovations are fueled by passion to give people the opportunity to feel great so they can do more of what they love. Sunlighten is building a global community of businesses, consumers, and trusted experts to support each other along the way and to bring light, hope and happiness to people everywhere.