London-based landlord, Duran Akbulut, was given an eight week suspended sentence for gas safety failings.
Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard how Duran Akbulut had failed to have a gas boiler checked for safety by a suitably qualified engineer and obtain the necessary safety certificate from the Gas Safe Register.
The boiler was in a property that was being let out to a tenant who raised concerns about a carbon monoxide leak and the National Grid switched off the gas supply. The tenant made a complaint to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Duran Akbulut of Kingshill Avenue, Kenton, London, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was given an eight week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, was ordered to pay £80 victim surcharge and contribute £300 in costs to HSE.
HSE inspector, Neil Fry said: “It is the duty of landlords to ensure gas safety checks are carried out to protect tenants from the fatal risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.”
For further information on Gas safety visit: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/index.htm
Notes to Editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. www.hse.gov.uk
- More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/ and guidance at
- HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk
Journalists should approach HSE press office with any queries on regional press releases.