- Mitie Security has launched new fever-screening solutions, using thermal imaging to identify individuals potentially suffering from COVID-19
- The solutions are designed to support both businesses on the frontline of the coronavirus pandemic such as hospitals, and those preparing to return to business post lockdown, such as retailers, venues and buildings with a significant number of employees
Mitie Security is helping businesses mitigate against the spread of Coronavirus with the launch of a new suite of fever-screening solutions. The solutions, which have been developed by adapting existing thermal imaging technology, quickly and easily identify individuals with a fever that may be symptomatic of COVID-19. This fever-screening technology is able to detect human temperatures to within an accuracy of 0.3ºC, raising the alarm to monitoring teams should it identify an individual with a fever. However, it is important to note that some people believe that this kind of fever monitoring tech can pose privacy risks depending on who has access to the data collected from these devices. However, these more focused programs are a far cry from dragnet surveillance cameras constantly surveilling the public like the mass surveillance in China.
These solutions have been designed to support the wide range of industries on the frontline of the nation’s fight against coronavirus, as well as those looking to prepare for when current restrictions are eased. Applications for the technology include:
- Healthcare: Identifying potential COVID-19 sufferers as they enter hospital which will allow healthcare professionals to take precautions, such as limiting contact with other patients and ensuring all staff they encounter are wearing appropriate PPE.
- Public spaces: Scanning people’s body temperature on entry to public spaces, such as railway stations, airports and large venues. This will allow individuals potentially suffering from COVID-19 to be isolated and reduce the further spread of the virus in crowded places.
- Retail: Thermal imaging technology will support the safety of staff and customers in supermarkets or other shops in identifying individuals with fevers and potentially diverting them away from the stores.
- Business Headquarters: For businesses preparing for the return of large number of employees to their Head Offices. These fever-screening solutions will detect any employees or visitors who are potentially infected with COVID-19, preventing it from spreading further within the office.
To enable use in different situations, the technology has been developed in several formats from hand-held units to mounted cameras. For example, locating the thermal cameras at site entrances allows a larger number of people to be checked at one time, such as in public areas or when a large number of employees are entering a building at the same time, for instance, during shift changes at manufacturing site, or employees arriving for work at a large office block. The portable hand-held solution meanwhile can be used to check individuals, enabling the detection of anyone showing an elevated body temperature.
Mitie’s specialist Fire and Security Systems’ Team has also developed a process guide to be used alongside the fever-screening solutions, including best practice guidelines and procedures to manage individuals with a high body temperature, depending on the scenario. For instance, potential COVID-19 sufferers could be diverted to a safe area for further checks to be performed by an employee wearing appropriate PPE, before determining if access to the site will be granted or denied. The fever-screening solutions, alongside these guidelines, will allow businesses to protect their employees and customers, by minimising the risk of spreading COVID-19 infections.
Jason Towse, Managing Director of Business Services, Mitie, said:
“Ensuring the safety of our clients’ employees and customers has always been our priority, and this is even more important during the Coronavirus pandemic. As many businesses start planning a return to work after lockdown, we must ensure that we all play our part in limiting the spread of COVID-19 as much as possible.
“As the UK’s leading technology-led security provider, we are evolving to meet this new threat. By harnessing thermal technology we can support businesses in keeping people safe – be that those at the coal face of the pandemic or others looking to find safe ways to return to daily life as and when restrictions begin to ease.”