Bi-fold doors are massively increasing in popularity. Their aesthetically pleasing design has seen them become a must have feature modern homes, and, as the days get longer and lighter, homeowners will no doubt begin to look to their next home improvement in the form of the installation of bi-fold doors. Studies have shown that the integration of bi-fold doors in a house, is perhaps more important to new buyers than a new kitchen or conservatory!
What are bi-fold doors?
Bi-folds are a type of door, usually made from aluminium or PVCu panels that are hinged together. Bi-folds usually consist of between two to eight panels, making them versatile and ideal for use wherever a transformation is required.
Why are bi-fold doors so desirable and what will they bring to a buildings design?
- Stylish design – Bi-fold doors are no doubt aesthetically pleasing and their low-profile design, that ensures maximum glazing is achieved certainly contributes to this. The sleek doors are space saving and come in various materials, colours and finishes, to complement the design of most properties.
- Seamless progression from the inside to the outside – Bi-fold doors allow continual progression from the inside space and the outdoors. On warmer days, fully opening the doors will welcome in the summers breeze and allow the occupants to enjoy the sun.
- Boost natural daylight – Bi-fold doors, normally installed in kitchens or living spaces, are a fantastic way to flood a room with light. Maximising natural day light is great way to give homeowners their daily Vitamin D fix, benefiting their health. This will contribute to lifting their mood and increasing energy levels.
- Create a more welcoming and sociable environment – Blending home and garden instantly creates a sociable and welcoming space, giving the feeling of an extra reception room. It’s ideal to have a patio or decking immediately outside the doors, to allow the homeowner and their guests a place to relax and unwind of an evening or host a BBQ on a warm summer’s day.
- Increase the property’s value – Beneficial both as a developer and a homeowner looking to sell up and move, the installation of designs, like aluminium bi-fold doors from Quickslide are known to increase a property’s value by 5 to 10%.
What to look out for when recommending or choosing bi-fold doors?
- Trusted manufacturer – It goes without saying, but when sourcing bi-fold doors, look for a reputable manufacturer that design around quality and endurance as well as aesthetics. This is really important, as if the doors are of poor quality you put the property at risk of draughts and rain water entering, quicker wear and tear as well as the possibility of the doors being less secure, if poor quality components are used.
- Energy efficiency – Look to the U-value; the lower the better. Bi-folding doors can offer excellent thermal efficiency, helping homeowners to reduce their energy bills.
- Weather permeability – Many designs exceed industry set weather standards, offering occupants the peace of mind that the doors will stand up to even stormy weather, and will not be subject to leaks.
- Security – The government’s building regulations require bi-folding doors to conform to PAS 24 standards in new builds and extensions. Look out for this when selecting bi-fold doors. It’s also recommended that even if replacing existing doors, you choose a bi-fold that has passed the PAS 24 testing. Also, take note at the locking system used, and whether there are options to upgrade to ensure maximum security.