The overarching and constant message that is heard loud and clear from homebuyers is that they prefer a neutral paint color scheme in their home. Over 98% of real estate agents say that neutral color schemes are preferable to today’s homebuyer. Breaking that down a bit further, a recent Fixr survey showed that 66% of experts believe that warm neutral palettes are the most appealing to buyers. Coming in second was earthy tones at 59% and neutral with pops of bold colors at 52%.
When you begin the process of choosing a paint color for your house you need to first commit to an undertone. The undertone is the underlying or muted tone that may be cool, warm, or neutral. Cool undertones are slightly blue, green or violet. These are most known for producing a calm feeling. A warm undertone will have a subtle red, orange or yellow base and produces more of a cheery and inviting feeling. A neutral undertone is a balance between cool and warm shades. Which undertone should you choose? If your home has brown or blonde-like floors you want a warm undertone. But if your floors are yellow or gray you should opt for a cooler tone.
Keep it Consistent
Painting your interior does not mean you should choose a completely different color palette for every single room. In fact, just the opposite is true. Choose colors that are close to one another to create a cohesive appearance throughout the house. Choose one neutral paint color for the primary living areas which include the living room, family room, entryway, dining room, and kitchen. Of the various natural color schemes, top real estate agents believe that white or shades of white are the most popular color in living areas because they provide blank canvas.
Best Paints for the Living Room, Dining Room, and Hallways
Best White Paints
- Intense White by Benjamin Moore – Off-white with gray undertones make it an elegant choice
- Pure White by Sherwin-Williams – Neutral undertones that brighten a room
- Strong White by Farrow & Ball – Gray-based that’s perfect for traditional and modern homes
Best Gray Paints
- Agreeable Gray by Sherwin Williams – Safe color that had the widest appeal to homebuyers in 2019.
- Abalone by Benjamin Moore – Neutral gray
- Silverpoint by sherwin-Williams – Cool gray with a sleek appearance
Best Beige Paints
- Accessible Beige by Sherwin Williams – Gray undertones
- Stone Hearth by Benjamin Moore -Neutral beige with shades of gray that works in most rooms
Painting a kitchen is a bit more detailed than painting other rooms since there are cabinets and an island to consider. As a general rule, white cabinets are always a safe bet. But if you have a kitchen island you can use it as a bit of an artist focal point and go with a pop of color. Navy blue or earthy greens are always a hit.
Best Cabinet Colors
- White Dove – by Benjamin Moore – Has a slightly gray undertone
- Chantilly Lace – by Benjamin Moore: Perfect for kitchens with a lot of natural light
- Alabaster by Sherwin Williams – Slightly warmer white
Best Kitchen Island Accent Colors
- Cyberspace by Sherwin-Williams – Deep navy that contrasts with white cabinets and countertops
- Gauntlet Gray by Sherwin-Williams – A neutral color for a conservative island color
The bathroom can be a place to try wallpaper if you are curious about using it in your home. However, if your restroom is small be aware that large bold prints can make the room feel cluttered. If you prefer paint you can stick with neutral colors.
- Sweater Weather by Sherwin-Williams – Warm undertones for a relaxing bathroom
- Kendall Charcoal by Benjamin Moore – A darker gray that goes well with white accents, cabinets, and trim
- October Mist by Benjamin Moore – Benjamin Moore’s color of the year is an earthy toned sage
Follow the same neutral color palette into your primary and secondary bedrooms. While bedrooms are the most personal room of the house and you may want to paint the room to fit your personality you should keep your bedroom paint as neutral as possible if you are intending to sell your home.
Best Paint Colors for Exterior
A fresh coat of paint on your home can cost approximately $3,000. However, that cost will yield an increase in home value of $7,571. In general exterior light neutral paint colors are most popular with homebuyers.
- Creamy by Sherwin Williams – Warm and welcoming
- October Mist by Benjamin Moore – Lighter sage green
- Evergreen Fog by Sherwin-Williams – Sherwin-Williams 2022 color of the year is a neutral and versatile green
Clearly the paint colors that are most appreciated by homebuyers are neutral colors that can be versatile enough to work in any room. If you are selling your home and need help choosing a paint color, contact your local real estate agent who can advise you on the color that will help you sell your house. When buying, you can also save on purchasing paint with Sherwin Willians coupons.